Thursday, July 01, 2010

Letter: June 22, 2010

Dear Friends,

These last several days have been both very trying and full of joy in the Lord. There is so much sorrow and tragedy here among the inmates, especially those who are lost. The man who lost his young daughter is doing better. We prayed with him and blessed him with some food. He started going to some of the outside services. Pray for his salvation. His name is M.C. I will look for an opportunity to share Christ with him.

Last Sunday, I was asked to preach in Chapel and I chose for my text, Matthew 10:37-39. There are three points in the passage: Jesus wants our loyalty, our will, and our life. He demands total surrender to Him. The sermon was well-received, but I fear the usual tares who attend the services were not change din heart. I can only throw the seed, but God gives the increase. Please pray for the salvation of those who hear regularly the Word but who have not trusted Christ.

Today, by God’s grace I was able to preach form Daniel 2. It was a service filled with sweet music led by a very skilled singer and guitarist. After me, brother Joseph preached from Genesis on Lot and how he hesitated at the angels’ warning to flee Sodom. He brought out the point that Lot had no spiritual impact on his family or city. We noticed this evening that some of the brothers are starting to listen to a false brother on the yard who is teaching error. This is very discouraging to us. We will try to offer regular evening on-the-yard devotional times in order to feed the flock solid food.

Throughout the week we gather to pray for our families. Many of the men are separated from their kids (like men) and have no contact. We pray for reunion and, where needed, salvation. We also pray for missionaries like Pastor Goetzen in Germany who is throwing the seed of the Gospel to a very hard-hearted people. He is very faithful to endure despite very little response. Please pray for him. You’ll remember I taught his daughter violin at Grace School.

I received a wonderful gift of George Muller’s autobiography. It has nearly 800 pages of his personal writings about his life and work of faith in London. He is an incredible inspiration!

Tonight I completed my next to last paper for my doctorate of theology. I am excited to finish. It has been a long road of study. After this, I want to continue writing a book on trials and afflictions in a 365-day devotional using quotes from many famous and wise believers who have endured deep trials.

Along with my preaching ministry here, I will have much to do, but only by the grace of God. Even the most basic, ordinary things to those of you outside, are great blessings here in prison. We view them as gifts of grace from the Lord. I am speaking of things like: a shower, a phone call, getting to go to the yard, to chapel, to practice the violin, to talk with a friend, to teach the Word, to attend a Bible study, to receive a candy bar, to receive a letter of visit. There are so many benefits of prison; it teaches patience thankfulness, humility (I hope), acceptance for those you would never even approach on the street. Prison can bring joy when you see a man who was steeped in drugs and violence, redeemed by the Lord and serving Him. There are many moments to God’s grace here. To God be the glory! I hope these notes are informative and encouraging. May the Lord bless you and keep you. As always, praying for my family.

In Chains for Christ,
David

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home